Putting children and young people first in the family courts


Surrogacy and parental orders


When a child is born through surrogacy, the intended parents will need to apply to the court for a parental order. This transfers legal parenthood from the surrogate (and her husband or civil partner, if she has one) to the intended parents.

The court will ask Cafcass to provide a Parental Order Reporter, to help it make a decision based on the parental order application.

You can find out more about the life-long importance of getting a parental order for children born through surrogacy and their families, and what the Parental Order Reporter will look at, by using the headings below:


Becoming the legal parent of a child born through surrogacy

What is a Parental Order Reporter?

After surrogacy: how to speak to your child about their origins.

| Home Page | News | |