Putting children and young people first in the family courts


Subject Access Requests: accessing your personal information


What is a Subject Access Request and how do I make one? Please see our Subject Access Request factsheet


Your rights under the Data Protection Act


A request for access to personal data is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). You have a statutory right of access to personal data about yourself under the Data Protection Act 1998, although certain exemptions apply. The right of access is to personal data held on computer or on structured manual files and you are entitled to be informed whether any personal data concerning yourself is being held by the "data controller" i.e., Cafcass, and, if so:

  • to be given a description of the data in question
  • to be told for what purposes the data are processed
  • to be told of the recipients or classes of recipients to whom the data are or may be disclosed.

For more information about what information is and is not covered in a SAR please see our SAR factsheet.

A SAR must be dealt with promptly and, in any event, within 40 days of receipt of the request together with the necessary documentation.

How to make a Subject Access Request


If you wish to apply for access to your personal data (make a SAR), you should make a request in writing to the Customer Services Team via email or post: 

  • Attn: Cafcass Customer Services Team - SAR, National Business Centre, Milburn Hill Road, University of Warwick Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ

Cafcass usually charges a fee of £10 per person, and will also need to see proof of ID and proof of residence. It can also be helpful if you specify whether there is particular information you are hoping to access. For more information please see our SAR factsheet or our SAR Policy.

| Home Page | News | |